In preparation for our big cabinet painting adventure I have limited time and kitchen access for cooking. This dish is crazy easy and super yummy. Perfect for a hectic weeknight dinner. I think I will even make it on Sunday’s to have lunch for the week just taken care of!!
It’s the return of the Do It Yourself fever! Last time we painted our countertops. That was in December and I still absolutely love them. Part 2 of the kitchen remodel is commencing. White cabinets! Then we will do a cool back splash, and finally we’ll paint the walls in the kitchen and dining room gray and add a chair rail and some wainscoting. It’s pretty ambitious, but our kitchen was straight out of the cheaper end of the 80’s. It’s difficult to say exactly what our styles are, but I really like a bright modern kitchen with a statement counter top.
Ok now it’s dinner time! The initial recipe I found was just meat and potatoes and cheese! It was cooking and I went to stir it and it was just so depressing looking. I just had to add some veggies to brighten it up!
- 32 oz Frozen Hash browns, cubed
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 14 oz Smoked Sausage
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 1 cup Frozen Corn
- 2 Carrots, sliced
- 1 1/2 Cup Colby Jack Cheese.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Either use 1 can cream of chicken mixed with 1 cup milk or make your own soup base as follows:
- 1 Tbsp Butter, 2 Tbsp Flour, 2 Chicken Bouillon cube, 1 cup water, 1 cup milk, 1 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp Poultry Seasoning.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter, whisk in flour and Bouillon cubes. Let cook until it starts to brown. Slowly whisk in the water. Bring to a simmer, once it starts to thicken add the milk and seasonings. Bring to a simmer again whisking occasionally until it starts to thicken. Set aside.
In a Crockpot add the Hash browns, sausage, onions, peas, corn and carrots. Pour the sauce over the top. Salt and pepper. Stir to coat all the ingredients in sauce. Cook for 3 hours on high. Add cheese and mix. Cook another 30 minutes. Top it off with extra cheese if desired. Enjoy your bowl of warm melty goodness!